There has been an outbreak of respiratory ailment caused by Novel Coronavirus spreading pneumonia in Wuhan, China. Cases have also been reported in Japan, Thailand, Beijing, and Shenzhen. There have been confirmed cases of ~150,000 worldwide and deaths of 5,600 as-on 14th Mar’19. Novel Coronavirus has been spreading and causing distress amongst all in affected and potential affected areas. Therefore, it is important to be aware of the transmission causes, early diagnose and immediate treatment.
What are the ways through which Coronavirus can spread?
- ‘Environment-to-human’: Preliminary information suggests that the Novel Coronavirus is “zoonotic” – transmitted from an animal source to humans. The initial cluster of cases appeared to have a common source of exposure – a local live seafood and animal market.
- ‘Human-to-human’: from a sick person to others who are in close contact. There is growing evidence of human-to-human transmission with family clusters and transmission to healthcare workers.
What are the symptoms of Novel Coronavirus?
- Pneumonia / Lung infiltrates
- High Fever
- Difficulty in breathing
What precautions are needed to protect yourself from Novel Coronavirus?
It is vital to maintain utmost hygiene at all times. Below are a few guidelines that can protect you from getting infected. It is advised to observe the below precautionary measures while traveling in or from affected areas (currently Wuhan City):
- Practice general hygiene: Wash your hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub frequently. Keep hand sanitizer handy; Cover your nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold & flu symptoms
- Ensure food, including eggs, is thoroughly cooked
- Do not have unprotected contact with live or wild animals
- Avoid traveling and seek immediate medical attention if you develop any of the above symptoms, especially fever or shortness of breath.
- Practice cough etiquette (maintain distance, cover coughs and sneezes with disposable tissues or clothing, and wash hands)